Easy& Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Chili
This is a really quick and easy meal to throw together. I love this for trying to use up leftover chicken and taco fixings from earlier in the week! If you follow me on Instagram you saw this being made on my IG Story (and my impressive messy bun). Follow me at @veryvictoriakaye for more!
*Note, this is not 100% gluten free nor is it dairy free. But it is easy, comforting and freaking delicious. For a *splurge* or 'cheat' meal, its pretty great.
You will need:
- 2 cups of chicken, cooked and shredded/diced
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small diced onion (about 1-2 cups)
- 3-5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup of flour (I used GF Namaste)
- 2-2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 10oz can of enchilada sauce (I used red, the can I had did have wheat flour in it, but my body can tolerate some gluten so I was fine, but if you are more sensitive find a GF kind!)
- 1 14oz can of black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 14oz can of diced tomatoes (with juice)
- 1 small can yellow corn
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 teaspoons dried cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 8 oz shredded cheese (I used a Mexican blend)
- salt & pepper to taste
- Toppings (Optional): Cilantro, avocado, sour cream, tortilla chips etc.
If your chicken isn't cooked, cook and set aside to cool. Then shred/dice as you like. Save for later.
Heat up the oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add the diced onions and cook until they are translucent and soft. Add the garlic and cook for another minute or so, until it's very fragrant. Stir frequently, so as not to let the onions or garlic burn.
Whisk in the flour, let cook for another 2 minutes, until slightly brown.
Pour in the chicken broth and whisk continuously until the flour is all absorbed.
Add the enchilada sauce, beans, corn, bell pepper, salt, pepper, chili powder and cumin. Mix well to combine. Be sure to scrape the bottom of the pot as you go, to make sure that the bottom of the chili isn't getting burnt.
Turn heat to low, and slowly add the shredded cheese. Stir until it is all melted. Again, being sure to scrape up the bottom so nothing burns.
Once everything is combined and the cheese is melted, turn off the heat and cover with a lid to keep it warm.
Prep your toppings while you let the flavors mingle. Dish into a bowl, top with whatever you like and enjoy!