Portobello Mushroom Pizza
In my constant struggle to eat healthy now paired with the added task of cutting down on gluten I came upon this gem. Pizza's made with portobello mushrooms as the crust. It's like a mini deep dish pizza! You will need!
- Portobello mushrooms (1-2 per person)
- Pizza sauce of your choice (pesto, Alfredo, marinara etc)
- Cheese (anything you like, if you are vegan, try Daiya!)
- Meat or protein of your choice (I used apple sage field roast sausage)
- Veggies and other toppings you may so desire (I used green onions and basil)
We grilled these, so if you want to do that, you can fire up the BBQ! Or if you want to use your oven, preheat to 350-400.
Remove the stems from your mushrooms and wash the caps thoroughly. Scrape out the black gills as best you can with a fork or spoon. Be sure to get under the edges, but be careful not to rip or tear the edges off the mushroom.
One they are cleaned, pat them dry and lay them top side down, so the edges act as a lovely little cup to hold all your toppings.
Spoon your sauce in the mushroom and top with your cheese, veggies and meat (if your meat needs to be cooked, be sure to cook that first)
Grill (place directly on the grill) or bake (place on a baking tray) for about 5-10 minutes, depending on the heat of your grill/oven, until the mushroom is soft and the cheese is melted.
Remove carefully and enjoy! These pizzas are more knife and fork then finger food.