Eggnog Cupcake Extravaganza!
I"ll cut to the chase. This is one of the coolest things I've ever made, I'm really proud of myself! Eggnog cupcakes with all the trimmings! Whoa right? Like I said, really happy with myself. I greeted Alex at the door with a cupcake complete with a happy dance.
Eggnog Cupcakes filled with Eggnog Custard and topped with Southern Comfort cream cheese frosting
(Note: To fill the cupcakes with custard, I used a pipping bag. But you can core out the cupcakes and fill and then recover)
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- ¾ cup eggnog
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
To make cupcake:
- Measure out flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt & nutmeg and set aside.
- Add sugar and butter in a bowl and cream on medium speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs in 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the dry ingredients in 3 parts, alternating with the eggnog and vanilla to start. Mix after addition until incorporated-do not overbeat.
- Fill cupcake liners about 3/4 full and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer cupcakes from tins to cooling rack. Allow cupcakes to cool completely before filing & frosting.
- 2 cups egg nog
- 3 yolks
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- Pinch salt
To make custard:
- In saucepan, whisk together eggnog, yolks and vanilla extract.
- Stir in sugar, cornstarch and salt
- Bring to boil on medium high heat, stirring constantly
- Boil for 1 minute and mixture should be getting pretty thick
- After a minute pull off heat and pour into a bowl. Cover and put in fridge and chill for 3 hours until firm.
Southern Comfort Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 16oz low fat cream cheese
- 1/3 -1/4 cup sugar (add a little and taste, add more if you want things sweeter)
- 1/4 cup (OR MORE) Southern Comfort whiskey
To make frosting:
- Put cream cheese in a bowl and add a little sugar and whiskey.
- Whisk together until smooth and creamy.
- Taste and add more sugar and booze if so desired.
Time to put it all together!
Custard- Fill your pastry bag with custard and insert tip into the cupcake and squeeze from the top of the bag. Move the tip around in the cupcake to make sure you get a good amount.
Frosting- I used a fancy tip, and started from the outside of the cupcake and swirled around to the center.